Powered By Blogger

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Interest rate rise, The cost of Living and the Environment

Well the RBA lifted interest rates this past tuesday for the 6th consecutive time. Whilst it raises our mortgage slightly each time so far we can handle the rate rises. This is due to us living in a small house in a small area and we purchased a typical 'Fixer upperer' lol. It needs work. Mainly on the outside of the house but a small bit of work on the inside would help too. Anyway we purchased this house because honestly it was all we could afford. And I am so happy for it because the lifestyle we lead of living simply, the house is all we need.
Whilst many people with large houses and mortgages suffer with each interest rate rise, due to our low mortgage it puts our mortgage up by about $15 each rise so it's ok. I often wonder though if many of the people with large mortgages ever think about downsizing? I often wonder how much happier people are knowing they are in a lot of debt as opposed to people have little debt?
I also wonder how many people need the huge plasma TV's, the nicest furniture etc. Possessions really don't make me any happier. Either does working full time and being away from my children. Given the chance I would embrace the opportunity to be a stay at home mum, however even living as simply as we do, Ty and I find it much easier both of us working part time and being home more with the girls. We are happier for it. We are healthier for it. Being home more gives me more time to spend with the girls and be the home maker. I can provide the girls with nourishing home cooked healthy meals. I am not picking up take away food because I am late home and don't have time to cook dinner.
With the cost of living too I know I am saving money on the food bill each fortnight due to cooking from scratch. We never purchase pre packaged foods. Everything is cooked from scratch and we know what is in everything. No preservatives, artificial colours, flavours and additives.
Poor Ella gets teased because she never takes chips and musli bars etc to school but I have told her that she is better for it.
We avoid the shops too. I used to love shopping for nothing in particular and buying unnecessary items. Not anymore, the less I got to a store, the less I want to. We only go for necessties and even then I look at Op shops first [Did I mention the awesome crotchered rug I got from my local op shop last week for $4], it is awesome. I was going to take a photo however the camera battery had died so I will try and get around to it soon.
The other way I am saving money is I don't buy magazines. I am so happy in my own life I truly don't want to read about celebrities and their lives. Every time I ever brought a magazine and would read it cover to cover I never felt satisfied and fulfilled. I never felt like I got anything out of it.
I realised how much money I saved when last year I took all of my old magazines to the local op shop and the ladies commented on how many I had. I added it up roughly and there would have easily been over $1000 spent on magazines. I would buy 2 or 3 a week at $5 or more each. So now the only magzines I have in my house are hand me downs from my mum and my sister in law when they have finished. Honeslty, I really don't miss my magazines at all. Instead I visit the library regulargly and borrow books which is much more satisfying.
I have also stopped buying several beauty products. I am a bit of a make up \ cosmetic junkie but recently have slowed it right down. I have looked at several ingredients in so called 'organic' skin care that the health food store sell and what is in these products is still toxic stuff. Some I can think of is phenoxyethanol, DEA etc etc so many next project is to make my own lip balm, and body butter and soap. It's going to cost abit more but will hopefully last longer and I can share my products with family and know they aren't placing toxic chemicals onto their skin. We will have all natural ingredients in the products and will benefit from this.
So wish me luck :)

No comments: