Powered By Blogger

Monday, February 18, 2013

How much of what you have do you really need?

Believe it or not I used to be a hoarder. As a teenager I would drive my Mum crazy with hoarding all types of things, especially paper. [And that saying that karma comes back when you have your own children, is very very true as my oldest daughter is a huge hoarder lol].

It's funny how things work. Now I am the opposite. I can't stand clutter and  I seem to chuck everything out that is no longer needed.
I can assure you though there is still a little clutter in some drawers and cupboards I need to get rid of. But with working 4 days a week, taking my girls to dance lessons, housework, baking, washing etc I don't always get the time to go through all of these drawers.
Yes... It frustrates me but Rome wasn't built in a day and I try and let it go because I could get it done but it would mean late nights or time not spent with my daughters.
Overall though, my home is clutter free.
I'm not sure when my decluttering started but it was after I had my firstborn. I didn't want her living in clutter and I slowly learnt I had to become more organised. I was working full time out of the home with a baby. I HAD to be organised.
I also started decluttering when I started to go through my spiritual journey of living simply. I dug deep and realised that I did not need a lot of my 'stuff'.
I decided that unless I really needed it or it brought happiness / beauty into my life I would not keep it.
I also started buying less. I thought twice about what I really needed / wanted. I used to buy 2 magazines a week, would read them and feel so unfulfilled afterwards and there went $6 per week or $312 a year. So I stopped buying magazines. If I needed something I would shop online or in op shops for the best deals. I didn't just buy things for the sake of it.

I think the little things in life are what fulfill us. When we realise this, we no longer shop for the sake of shopping. We no longer try to keep up with others and we instead, choose to live a non competitive life with having less of what we want and simply what we need.

Living this way is a personal choice and it doesn't suit everybody. It also doesn't mean going without everything too. We still get a few little treats occasionally [Like my new coushin covers above]. One can't live just simply without any treats. We just select the treats we most desire, shop around for the best deal and ensure it's something that we find beautiful, that we enjoy and that will last.
A simple picture I got at the op shop [above].

I feel guilty over indulging. I feel guilty if I live in a huge house, drive expensive cars, and live an luxurious lifestyle when there are so many people around the world living on the poverty line.
Our income is already significantly low but we live such a rich life due to our frugality and our desire to just live simply.
So I am putting this post out there. To challenge others to think and reflect on how much of what you have do you really need?

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

I've just found your blog through the Down to Earth site. i've read trough your archives and I really enjoyed them. I will add you to my favourites list and follow your simple living journey. i used to have a blog called green- ness, so you might like to check out my old blog to see what our family is like. really loved reading your 100 things to do this year. I need to do something like that myself. Hope we get to know each other better, Vanessa

Justyce said...

Hi Vanessa :)
Thank you so much for your comment :) I'm glad you have enjoyed my blog so far. I'm hoping to blog a lot more regularly this year.
Have just looked at your blog too. I love the retro / vintage style of your place :) I've been drawn to that style in recent years.
The 100 things to do this year was the first year I was able to actually think of 100. I'm hoping I can do at least half :)
Looking forward to connecting with you too :)